Vacation time, Washington DC

Saturday 5th of September:
5am, time to wake up and get ready to leave for the airport. After getting to the airport and checking in I went through customs and walked around before heading of to the gate to board my plane towards Paris. The flight got 15 minutes early and I made it to the gate for my connecting flight as it started boarding for my transfew flight towards Washington DC. After a long but not so tireing flight I landed in Washington DC around 1pm, got my luggage and took the Supershuttle towards the hotel that Ana booked for us. After arriving at the hotel and resting for a bit we decided to head out and walk around the area. The hotel (Palomar) was located at Dupont Circle and we walked towards the Zoo and back before calling it a day. Oh and we had burgers at Five Guys.

Sunday 6th:
In the morning we went to Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast and went to see the declaration of independence, bill of rights and more original documents at the National Archives. We walked around at the National Mall and visited some museums like the National Air & Space museum and a few others whose names I forgot and to the Old Post Office which has a nice view of DC. We ended the day having dinner at Rosa Mexicano.

Monday 7th:
We started this cloudy day at Lincoln’s Waffle Shop for breakfast. After that we went to the house in which Lincoln died after being shot in the Ford Theatre across from the house which we also visited. We made this a museum day and went to National Mall again where most of the museums are located in DC. We visited the Smithsonian Castle, the Museum of Natural History where we saw a lot of rocks and gems. And ofcourse the Hope diamond. We wanted to walk the National Mall but it started raining so we decided to head back to the hotel and rest up a bit before having dinner. Everyday at the hotel there was free wine and snacks between 5pm and 6pm so before we went off for dinner we had a drink and a snack. We had Sushi for dinner at a Japanese restaurant called Uni across from our hotel. The sushi was very nice and the sake too. hmmmm 😀 We ended the day with a nice stroll around the area.

Tuesday 8th:
We had crepes for breakfast before doing a guided tour of Capitol Hill, walking from the Washington monument to the Lincoln memorial alongside the reflecting pool. Walked around DC to vind a place for lunch and ended up at the corner bakery after walking halfway across DC. Appearantly most lunchrooms close after lunchtime which is 3pm ish. We visited the White House after lunch and went back to the hotel.

Wednesday 9th:
The day before leaving Washington DC we went to Old Ebbitt Grill for lunch and then off to see Chinatown. Which was a bit dissappointing. We walked towards Union Station from Chinatown and visited the Postal Museam next to Union Station. We ended the day walking around in the area of Georgetown University. The next day we took the Boltbus from Washington DC towards New York.

Well that’s it for the first part of my vacation in the States. The second part will arrive soon … see you next time.